18 Mar COVID-19
COVID-19 is top of mind in the community, with our members and of course it is top of mind here at the Greater Westside Board of Trade. We must all do our part to protect our loved ones, neighbours and communities from the health and economic risks we are facing.
As your Board of Trade, we are listening carefully to the advice of Health Care Professionals including Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and taking what action is recommended. We are also continuing to advocate on your behalf to ensure government relief and support is there when you need it. The good news is we have a strong national Chamber network in vibrant communities and experts who are willing to help at a variety of levels. We are here to help you through this uncertain time and will continue to focus on the following three areas:
1. Advocating on behalf of our members through our provincial and national network to ensure the help is there when you need it. Links to critical information and funding programs are provided below.
2. Business Support and providing constant communication to ensure our Members are heard and supported in this trying time. We will be providing regular updates to ensure you are at the forefront of all resources available to you. We are adjusting our programs and events to ensure we follow recommendations from the health experts and that includes cancelling all face to face events until further notice. Lunch & Learn scheduled for March 25th and our Business After Hours for April 9th has been cancelled. We have also postponed the Annual GWBOT Golf Tournament, scheduled for May 1 and the Valleywide Business Expo May 7. Once we have new dates for those events – we’ll let you know.
3. Modifying our work environment to ensure our team, volunteers, and members have a safe environment to work within and are well positioned to weather this storm.
During these uncertain times, if you are able get out, please show your support of our local businesses and community. If you are shopping online please shop online locally. If you aren’t able to attend a fundraiser for one of our local charities perhaps consider helping them out with a donation online. Instead of dining in, consider take out or purchasing a gift certificate to be used at a later date. We at the GWBOT are committed to helping you get through this time. Our office lines remain open to you to ask questions and get support in the form of not only, planning but assistance in utilizing technology as you may face remote work styles.
Please also take care of your own mental health. Stay informed but take time for your personal health by getting out for a walk on one of our new walkways or a hike up beautiful Mt. Boucherie and enjoy our beautiful city and region. We will get through this together.
On behalf of the Greater Westside Board of Trade.
Resources for Businesses:
- BC Centre for Disease Control – Tips for Business
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce – Pandemic Preparedness Guide
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce – Communications Crisis Guide
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce – Business Continuity and Preparedness Plan
- Greater Vancouver Board of Trade – Business Preparedness Checklist
- WHO – Getting Your Workplace Ready for Covid-19